Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Halloween

How can anyone miss out on such a spectacular occasion? Even aboard a tall ship Halloween is still recognized as a time to dress up, dance, eat many sweets, and of course trick-or-treat. I was in the galley (kitchen) for a fair amount of the day leading up to October 1st. Caz, the cook on board, was busy creating homemade sweets, and to contribute I created a classic recipe given to me by my family on the other side of the world (New Zealand), Hokey-Pokey (sponge toffee).

Trick-or-treating was fantastic. We searched every nook and cranny of the Sorlandet looking for jack-o-lanterns which indicated sweets. The carved pumpkins could be found in aft cabins, chain lockers, galley doors, portholes, hatches, etc. It was a lot of fun, and a great relief from all the hard-work and extra time some of us were putting in on deck. I was once again a little child with the joys of a gift-giving holiday echoing in my eyes. Halloween was fantastic and could never have come sooner.

I took the role of a 90's librarian's assistant. Other costumes included: ghosts, pumpkins, maritime crew, Cleopatra, breaking news, flamenco dancers, and Tarzan.

2 comments:

  1. No pirate costumes?? :) -- --D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 1! However, we do have Pirate Day on the ship, lol

      Delete