1. Textbooks flying across the room.
2. Trying to eat without spilling everywhere.
3. Cleaning dishes in the galley, and avoiding any more casualties. Total personal count: 1 swollen ankle (hotel pans are painful), 1 sliced finger, 1 burned hand, and 2 bruised shoulders.
4. Keeping the number of bruises I had under control.
6. Having a shower without falling over or sliding from one end of the heads (washrooms) to the other.
7. Drain pipes getting clogged and creating a stench in the banjer (sleeping, eating, working area) that lasted two weeks.
8. Rolling out of bed when the ship pitches to port (right).
9. Keeping clean. It’s such a struggle to find time for a shower and to do laundry.
10. Getting dressed for watch and relieving physicals (helm, standby, look out, and safety rounds) on time. I had to find my foulies (foul weather gear), harness, rubber boots, and warm clothes.